Remember that you are a professional!
Participants and spectators in the games you officiate will form their first impression of your professionalism on the way you look, so be mindful of your uniform and the manner in which you wear it. By extension, this impression will also reflect well, or poorly, on all other members of our association.
- Fit properly.
- Be in good repair with no rips, tears, or holes.
- Be free of dirt, stains, and fading.
- Be coordinated pre-game so that a working crew wears the same uniform on the field. The Referee will be final determiner.
Required Uniform Items:
- Officials’ hat (black baseball style cap with white piping)
- Two Lacrosse officials’ shirts (one long sleeve and one short sleeve)
- Shirts shall include a US Lacrosse patch, centered on the left sleeve two inches below the shoulder seam.
- Patches may either be sewn or applied to the uniform using Velcro.
- Black shorts (minimum 6 inch inseam)
- Black leather belt (1 1/4 – 2 inches in width) with plain buckle
- Short black socks. (Ankles covered)
- Black athletic shoes with black laces. (Officials may use a black permanent marker or “shoe black” to color over logos, stripes, or other designs on shoes.)
Optional Uniform Items:
- Solid black nylon rain pants – no white side piping. (Sweatpants are not allowed.) Stretchable black golf pants also work well.
- Black t-shirt or turtleneck. (Any visible undergarments must be black.)
- Official’s Jacket (black). No patches needed. No NILOA jackets should be worn for High School games.
- Gloves for cold games, solid black.
- Official’s Nylon Rain Hat (for foul weather games)
- Two Black Fox-40 whistles. Finger whistles are recommended.
- Two center weighted yellow penalty flags (15″x15″).
- Small black six foot (6′) tape measure.
- Coin (half-dollar size or larger).
- Lacrosse 20-second timing device.
- Upgrade: a 2-way beeper for 20-seconds and 100-seconds.
- Lacrosse scorecard and pencils. In a pinch you can use paper, but rain or perspiration can mess it up easily.
- Digital wrist watch (for timeouts).
Online Referee Uniform/Equipment Stores:
Black shorts are readily available at Kohl’s, Wal-Mart and other department stores.